CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 19, 2008

goofy lady

Good morning, this is going to be a new experience for me working on the computer.
I seem to always find a way of messing things up. In a life skills class some years back we took a test to see where our strengths and weaknesses were. social was way up there, but technical was almost off the chart (the other way)

I was an activity director in a two different nursing homes for 7 yrs. And they got to the point to tell me not to even turn on the tv because I would find a way to mess it up.
But they still loved me anyway. My brain goes into gear after I have already done something.

Like this morning, I jumped out of bed and quickly slipped on my slacks and shirt to go read scriptures with my husband before he went to work.
Later my son, who is living with us because of an illness, ask me my favorite question. Do you want to play cards? (I love to play gin rummy) As he was beating me ,I happened to look down and realized my pants were wrong side out. I must not be a very observant person. It reminds me of a time when I was to sing at a funeral.
I had to go to work first, then hurry home toget ready for the funeral. I hurried so fast. Got there, sang my song and sat down. as I sat in the pew. I felt a little bumpy.
In my hurry to get dressed I had put on a bra fastened it in the front, then forgot and put another bra on turned it around and so I had one on in front and one on in back and it was padded. A couple of the workers were with me and when we got back to the nursing home,everyone knew. I felt so foolish. We all had a good laugh. That is why I say I put my brain in gear after the fact. I'm not always that dense. just once in a while.

I guess that is why I loved working in the nursing home so much. Because I could see the humor through the most trying times. Like the time I gave a dear sweet lady a stuffed animal. An angora kitten. She had a cat before she came to us. With the terrible illness of alzheimers, she thought her cat was real. One day as I came into the dinning room, I saw her trying to feed her cat chocolate pudding. she was upset because it wouldn't open it's mouth. I told her that I would take her cat and clean it up for her and not to worry. The cat just wasn't hungry right now.

Or the time that one dear lady was shaking the dinning room table I ask her what she was doing. She said ,"I can't get it in first gear". I put my arm around her and told her to bring her wheelchair over by me and I would call a mechanic to come and fix it for her. She was fine with that.

I have many stories to tell you but they will be saved for another time.
Have a great day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom,
I didn't know that story about the bra!
That is so funny!
:)
Have a great day.

Heather {Desperately Seeking Sanity} said...

My mother has been a geriatric nurse for 31 years at least and she will tell you that she works best in the nursing home because she's just as confused as they are and she fits in!

Awesome stories...

(And yes, I'm a stranger, kinda... Heidi sent me!)

Anonymous said...

I read Heidi's blog all the time and I was laughing so hard sometimes people had to come and see what I was lughing about. I can't wait to read more stories. I miss Heidi and her family since they moved back to Oregon from Maryland.

Julie

j said...

Te visual in my mind, of you at the funeral, double bra-ed was hysterical.

Thanks for sharing your "goofiness" for the masses. I need laughs to keep me going.

Be blessed.

Jennifer

Melissa R said...

My 5 yr old and daddy are upstairs getting ready for bed. They called down to see what I am laughing my butt off about. Two bras on! Two... one front and one back! Oh, I love these stories :)